The Grade 12/13 Interprovincial Championships have been running for over 40 years, held annually over the Easter weekend. Over the years it has grown in size and stature and is now an integral part of the youth athletics calendar.
Every athletics centre in New Zealand has a team represented at the championships. Each team consists of a maximum of 44 athletes, 11 male and 11 female athletes from each grade (part teams can also be sent). Every athlete competes in four events, excluding relays, comprising of a combination of track and field events.
How it Works
- The competition is run over two full days
- A maximum of 11 athletes selected from each of these grades: Grade 12 Girls, Grade 12 Boys, Grade 13 Girls, Grade 13 Boys
- Athletes selected for the team will compete in four events (must be a mix of track and field events so 3 track and 1 field or vice versa or 2 track and 2 field)
- It is a team-based event with points awarded for the times you run or the distances you throw or jump
- The team with the most points wins, so every person in the team contributes towards the overall result. Relays are included at the end of the event
- There are no semi-finals, finals or individual placings
- Athletes wear their club uniforms